Saturday, December 31, 2005

New Year's Eve preparation

These locals got a jump on the 2006 Reveillon celebration by performing the ceremony on a less crowded beach Thursday night. I felt lucky to get this glimpse into their long held tradition. There are small blue or white boats that carry offerings to the goddess of the sea. See more on this ceremony farther down this post.
The barges for the midnight fireworks being pulled into place while I am on my morning (noon) run. They are close to shore!
The Cariocas set up camp early on the beach, preparing for the huge Feliz Anos Novo celebration. It was noon when this pic was taken. The early ones get the shade near the road of which there is not much of at all. They set up tents and bring big coolers filled with lots of Skol and other beers, and snacks and sandwich fixin's. Well-prepared for the long day ahead.
Here are the chin-up bars that I go to every other day to work my back. Today there were all these Cariocas watching, and I almost chickened out. It was a choice between being fit and embarrassed or fat and in my comfort zone.
After a short pep talk to myself, I went ahead and did them. This Brasiliero is celebrating the New Year by sporting a creatively styled chest hair trim. Bravo!

Everyone celebrates in their own way. Not all of the Brazilians wear white for Feliz Ano Novo. I saw these two, not from Rio, but from somewhere in Brazil, in front of the grocery store when I went to pick up champagne. These are the first and only goths I have seen in Rio. Vive le difference!
The Cariocas (Brazilians) perform their Ano Novo (New Year) ritual of offering food, champagne, and mainly, white flowers to the goddess of the sea Lemanja, in the hopes of having their prayers answered. Some have done this on Thursday night, and others Friday (last night) night, in an attempt to have a more solemn, less crowded ceremony. They put the offerings in small boats and send them out to sea.
Flowers from the carioca's ritual last night. When they come back in, I think you do not get your wish, because Lemanja has not accepted them.

No comments: